Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January 9 Joy Dare

January 9 Joy Dare - a gift held, passed by, sat with.

Don't get bored with this post. Okay, you can do what you want, but I don't want you to get bored. I'm having a mommy moment!!

My son, who just turned 18, has wanted to get a tattoo for a few years now. All of his friends have them - even some of his youngest friends! I told him, waaaaay back when he was 16, that if he waited until he was 18 and didn't tattoo himself, I would pay for his first one.

Here were the stipulations: I had to approve the tattoo and I had to pick the artist. My overall goal was that he didn't go into something half-cocked and end up stuck with something forever that he didn't really think about completely. Also, I wanted to be sure that we went to a quality artist and not some buster trying to make a few dollars, all while taking risks with my kids life!

The very first tattoo he showed me, I fell in love with it! I thought it represented him and his personality and it wasn't something he'd regret in a few years. So, I made the appointment and waited for him to become "legal."

All that to share my gifts for today...

A gift held was the conversation time with my boy. We were in the car for a little while, then got lost, then waiting for the tattoo to be drawn, and all the while we filled the space and time with great conversations. It was memory making in my book!

A gift passed by was the tattoo shop. Like I said, we got lost. We found it. We laughed. It was all great.

A gift sat with was my boy getting his tattoo done! I was able to share a first time experience with my son as a grown man. What a strange, wonderful feeling. I was watching skin that *I* created, in my womb, being marked up by something I didn't play a part in (I know, God was really the Creator of his skin, but I did have a little something to do with it!). It was a weird, beautiful experience. I also was able to be the fly on the wall being part of his grown up conversation, with a grown up man, about grown up things - like tattoos and girls and music. I glimpsed my son with new eyes tonight and I loved every second of it.

Reppin' the "D" and music - his true love. 

2 comments:

  1. As I read your post for today my mind wandered to when you and David reached this age, or shall I say became of age. Yes I remember David got smart with me and I was so angry I threw my arm up to slap him; he block me and said 'I am too big for you to do this Mom!' Sooooo true! You my baby girl was when told me that you were pregnant with this beautiful baby boy almost 19 years ago! That is the day you became a real adult! I could not be prouder of you and how you live your life. Keep up the wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete