Friday, January 4, 2013

Black beans and Sausage with rice!

I love Basmati Rice. Whew... there. I got that outta the way. I mean, really, you have no idea of the depth of my love for it! haha. It is my go-to rice for everything. On New Years Day, I made a pretty yummie, last minute dish and I wanted to share it. It was fairly simple, but also quite delicious!

I was cooking for 6 adults and 1 child and we only had a few leftovers for lunch the next day.

Ingredients:
12 Italian sausage links
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
About 3 cups black beans (you can use 3 cans or a whole bag of dried beans that have been soaked and cooked)(If you use cans, don't rinse the beans, just lightly drain - you want some of the juice)
1 pint or can of diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper
Cooked rice (see note at bottom)

In a large skillet, add the whole sausage links and cook until every side has a nice sear. They don't have to be cooked through at this point, we just want a nice crust on the outside. Once that's done remove them to a plate or cutting board. Add the onions and peppers to the skillet, season, and saute until tender. Meanwhile, slice (on a diagonal) the sausage links into 1-2 inch pieces and add them back into the pan with the peppers and onions. Add garlic. Let them mix together for a couple of minutes, then add the beans and tomatoes and season again with a bit more salt and pepper. Finish cooking until the sausage is done in the middle and the beans are heated through, about 20 minutes.

Note about the rice: SEASON YOUR RICE. Yep, I said it. One thing that makes me crazy is food that isn't ready to eat when it gets on my plate. I don't wanna add salt, pepper, butter, etc... I want it all done and ready to go in my tummy! When you have nice flavorful food like the beans and sausage dish, but then add it on top of a rice that's bland, you end up with a bland dish.

Flavor + bland = bland
Flavor + flavor = flavor

Simple equation! =]

Also, you'll notice that I season at most every step. Even if it's just simple salt and pepper... every level of your dish should have attention. It shouldn't be ignored just because it's "only peppers and onions" - NO. Give it some love, man! I'm not saying you have to add a lot, but it does deserve some attention. =]



No comments:

Post a Comment