Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kale? Oh yes, kale!

OK – so kale is that decoration veggie that you see on the side of buffets, right? Oh, sure… we’ve heard that it’s good for you, but who wants to eat garnish?! Well, I did a little investigating, after I bought my first bunch of kale today, to find out the best way to eat it – I mean, should I eat it raw or cooked? I had no idea… So, after seeing numerous “ideas” – I thought I would try steaming it… yeah, yeah – that’s what I’ll do…

So, I washed half the bunch of kale, cut it away from the stem (because apparently that’s really yukkie!), and threw it in a steam basket over some boiling water. I covered it and let it steam for 5 minutes… it was so bright and pretty when it was done. So, I tasted a little piece – not too bad. Hmmm… what else can I do with this… this is what I did, which is all backwards by the way because the idea was forming as I was cooking – I would certainly switch the order about next time.

I heated a skillet with some olive oil, added about ½ chopped onion and some minced garlic, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. Oh yeah, this is good… wait! – I decided I wanted some pasta with it, soooo… I cooked up some whole wheat penne. While that was cooking, I added a can of diced tomatoes into the onions and garlic, and then I tossed in the steamed kale and sautéed it to all levels of delish! Once the pasta was done, I mixed it in with all the veggies – topped it off with some shredded parm cheese and tada!! There was dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment