Friday, August 12, 2011

Chicken Wings - bow chica wow wow style

I don't make fried chicken wings. Ever. Like, I have never made them before in my life. I don't fry chicken, or anything else for that matter. Imagine my conundrum today when I had a bag of chicken wings to be cooked and no oven to use (we had a small element fire last weekend and I haven't called the landlord yet!).

My son has been begging for fried chicken. I don't know why -- a teenager thing maybe? Who knows. Anyway, today was the day that I would try my hand at fried chicken. Here's how I did it.

I laid all the chicken pieces on a cookie sheet (after I washed 'em and made sure they were all pretty).

Here's the crazy part - remember that 3 Pepper Mustard that I talked about a few posts ago? Well, put some in a bowl and use your fingers to slather that all over the wings, crazy right?

Lay the wings back out and season with onion powder, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, uhm... I think that was it. Oh, some ground cayenne pepper, too. And a weee weee bit of ground mustard.

Have some flour set aside either in a bag or bowl - I don't like to shake and especially when it's covered in mustard! So I just laid the pieces in the flour and covered them generously then dropped them into a hot saucepan with some vegetable oil. I don't have a deep fryer since I've never fried anything, so I had to do it a make shift sorta way. Saucepan filled halfway with oil will do the trick.

I wasn't entirely sure how to know when it was cooked enough, so it was really a guessing game for me, but those with more experience would probably have an easier time with this. I would say I cooked them for about 5 minutes, then flipped them for another 5 minutes until they were nice and brown.

The end product was a tangy, sweet, fried chicken wing. I didn't need anything to dip them in... I only had a couple, but they were really yummie and not bad for my first go. Even the son's girlfriend said I did good and she comes from a fried chicken family... she, of course, reminded me it wasn't as good as her mom's or memaw's but still a good first time! YaY! So, next time you're frying up some wings, try some mustard on them first! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment