Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Creamy Chicken & Biscuits (Gooseberry Patch - Comfort Foods)

As usual, I will give you the recipe (then let you know what I did differently).

2 c. potatoes, peeled and diced (I used about 4 cups)
2 c. carrots, peeled and sliced (I bought already shredded carrots!)
1 onion (I used 1/2 large sweet onion)
3 T. butter
3 T. all-purpose flour
2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. milk
1 c. chicken broth
2 cubes chicken bouillon (I used 2 t. of granules)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced (I boiled to Large bone-in breasts and it gave me some fresh chicken broth and then I picked the meat off when it was done)
12-oz tube refrigerated biscuits (I used 7 oz tube, 8 regular size biscuits)

Cover potatoes, carrots, and onion with water in a medium pan and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender. Drain and set aside. Melt butter in pan, stir in flour, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, bouillon, and broth and cook until thickened; about 3 - 5 minutes. Set aside. Place chicken in a 13x9 pan (spray with PAM first), layer the vegetables over the chicken and pour the sauce on top. Arrange the biscuits on top and bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and the sauce is bubbly.

** OK, so for MY tastes, this was a bit bland, so I added some more spice to it. I added a lot more pepper, garlic powder, and salt. It was probably more bland because I used so many potatoes and I use skim milk. I also boiled the chicken the same time I was boiling the vegetables and then cooled the chicken in a cold water bath before I picked it. It's what I had on hand, and I like to make my own broth. It's so easy and a lot cheaper than buying it! =] I think those were the only things I really did differently.. it was pretty yummie and most certainly "comfort food!"

No comments:

Post a Comment